Daily habits are a great way to achieve your skin goals. Maybe you're looking to brighten the look of your skin. You may want to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Perhaps hyperpigmentation has been an ongoing challenge for you. Caring for our skin is a great way to maintain a youthful appearance. Getting into a routine helps us to stay on top of our goals. However, with so many new products out there, our regimens can get overcomplicated pretty fast. Let's discuss why simplicity is the key to achieving your skincare goals.
The Problems with a Complex Skincare Routine
- One of the most considerable problems with having a complex routine is the potential for irritation. The skin on your face is comprised of a different type of skin than that of the rest of your body. That’s why it is important to be critical about what you choose to put on it. Too many products can oversaturate your pores. Long routines often lead to breakouts, rashes, dryness, and a damaged skin barrier.
- An overcomplicated skincare routine is expensive. Skincare is the type of thing that you pay for what you get. So, it is easy to rack up a hefty tab if you have more than four steps in your daily routine. Investing in a few great products helps your bank account and skin.
- Your skincare routine should be a short, therapeutic time for self-care in the morning and evening. It should not be what your entire morning or night is comprised of. Your skin does much of the work in repairing its barrier as well. A long routine can make it hard for the skin to do its job.
- It is unnecessary to add another stressor to your life. Especially when your skincare routine is intended to give you peace of mind. While it’s good to be educated, there is a lot of information in the world. You can go crazy trying to find the best products and the perfect routine. A simple routine will take that weight off your shoulders.
The Benefits of a Simple Routine
- Shorter routines tend to be more precise. It makes it easier to pinpoint any issues with your skin or products. When you can get the products right in a simple routine, you’ll notice that the risk of irritation is significantly reduced.
- It goes without saying that fewer products mean more money in your pocket. This also means you can invest more in the few products you do use.
- Ideally, it is best to repeat your routine twice a day. Once in the morning and once before bed. You’ll be more motivated to stick to a routine that isn’t so long and complex.
- As mentioned earlier, a great benefit of a simple routine is that it allows your skin to repair itself. Our skin has many of its own reparative properties. With fewer steps, our skin can better work with the ingredients in the products.
Steps for Building a Simple Skincare Routine
Now that you know the why behind a simple skincare routine, we can get to the how. The first thing you're going to want to know is your skin type. This will help you know what ingredients to look for. Luckily, hyaluronic acid, fruit stem cells, aloe, peptides, and vitamins A, B, C, and E work great for most skin types. Once you know your skin type, you can begin. First, pick a cleanser that works best for you. A good cleanser should leave your skin feeling clean and smooth without stripping it of its natural oils. Second, pick a restorative serum. You’re going to want to leave your face slightly damp so the serum can fully absorb into the surface. Gently press the serum into your skin and wait until dry. Now you’re already ready for the final step. Moisturizer is arguably the key to your routine, so ensure that the one you pick is rejuvenating. This is essential for youthful, glowing skin. The right moisturizer will increase cell turnover, firmness, and elasticity of the skin. For your daytime routine, it’s beneficial to add sun protection as a final step after moisturizer. UV rays are highly damaging to the skin. Since they cause premature aging, this is a quick and easy way to lock in the benefits of your routine and keep toxins out.
In the long run, you will be glad you kept your routine simple. Our skin is the largest organ in our body and the face is one of the most delicate ones. Taking care of your skin is crucial. But overcomplicating your routine can be detrimental. Keeping your routine simple is both an easy and effective skincare solution for complex skin challenges.