It’s that time of year again: the air is crisp, everything is pumpkin flavored, cozy sweater season is in full swing… and our skin gets dry, flaky, and sometimes even painful.
The cold air and dry weather mean it’s time to transition to a winter skincare routine. Cold air carries less moisture, so your skin requires more moisture to keep that healthy glow. Keeping the dullness, dryness, and irritation at bay may seem like a challenge, but there are a few ways to maintain balance.
Here are a few quick tips to keep your skin dewy and glowing all winter long:
- Pay attention to ingredients in the skincare you use. you need all the moisture and repair you can get, so there are a few key ingredients that should be in your winter skincare products:
- Hyaluronic acid: This magic ingredient is full of collagen and promotes moisture by drawing water into the skin. Seek it out as an ingredient in your winter serums and moisturizers.
- Ceramides: These support the skin barrier function by acting as the glue that holds skin cells together. Ceramides are naturally occurring in the skin but as a skincare ingredient, they help improve hydration and fight acne and inflammation. They also contain anti-aging properties and work to make your skin appear firmer and plumper.
- Aloe Vera: With both vitamins C and E, Aloe is both soothing and healing. It protects against bacteria, acne, and aging and increases the production of collagen in the body, which can lead to firmer, younger-looking skin.
- Use a hydrating moisturizer. adding a hydrating moisturizer to your daily routine in the winter helps decrease the loss of moisture over time.
- Use a serum. if you have sensitive skin, incorporate a highly nourishing serum into your skincare routine. serums add extra hydration and nourishment and often contain vitamins and antioxidants that help combat the harsh dryness and chill of winter air. look for face serums rich in botanicals.
- Protect your lips. your lips have some of the thinnest skin on your whole body, which is why they’re usually the first to get chapped as soon as you’re exposed to cooler temperatures. make sure you’re regularly applying lip balm and staying hydrated.
- Use skincare with spf. “the biggest mistake you can make is not wearing spf during the winter season,” says dr. ajay rana, a dermatologist and aesthetic physician. using spf will protect your skin and lips—uv rays are still harmful even when you can’t see the sun, so make sure your skincare contains spf or look for an ingredient with naturally occurring spf, like cbd.
- Get a humidifier. exposure to the dry air of indoor heat sucks the moisture from your skin and can cause sensitivity, redness, and irritation. paired with a great skincare routine, a humidifier can rejuvenate your skin by replenishing your skin’s essential oils and promoting healthy skin barrier function.
- Develop an awareness of what works for you and how your skin responds to the changing seasons. don’t make any drastic changes; the most important thing you can do is pay attention to what makes you feel good and adjust accordingly!
Vieve's Leaves Winter Skincare Routine
Vieve’s moisturizer is the hydrating moisturizer your skin needs this winter, with Organic Aloe and E-Cann, our proprietary broad-spectrum vitamin blend that works simultaneously to soothe inflammation and hydrate your skin. Fruit stem cells, green tea, rosehip oil, and chamomile extract all add an additional layer of hydration and reduce inflammation to improve skin appearance overall.
The perfect complement to our rejuvenating moisturizer, this serum leaves your skin feeling refreshed and radiant. Hyaluronic acid and ceramides, our top two ingredients to look for, works against winter weather to make your skin look and feel smooth, hydrated, and balanced.